If you are not redirected in five seconds, click here.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

DIY: Shelf/Screen Door Bracket Mail & Receipt Holder/Sorter

If you are anything like me, you have been on the hunt for a place to keep all of that mail that is endlessly streaming into your house everyday - not to mention the receipts that end up crumpled up in my wallet, on the counters, and in my husband's pants pockets!

This pretty little thing is just the thing I was going for to add a pop of color to my kitchen and to keep what was becoming our wildly out-of-control mail corner into a place of beauty:)  Now later on this week I am going to share with you a super simple tutorial & template on how to make little receipt folders out of decorative paper, but in the meantime, I was so excited about my project that I had to share!

Take a look.....


DIY Shelving Bracket Mail Sorter



Supplies You Will Need:

~ 4 Decorative Shelf/Screen door Brackets (I got my beauties for $15 for a set of 4 right here: Decorative Brackets
~ Piece of wood (I took an envelope to my home goods store to measure the dimensions)
~ Wood glue
~ Paint
~ Paintbrushes
~ Clear, acrylic coat paint
~ Mini frames (these are from Michaels for $1.50 each in the bins upfront)

Directions:



1.) Apply a thin strip of glue along the base of your decorative shelf bracket (this is actually a little too generous and the glue expands and you will have to wipe the excess with a wet towel:)  Attach it to one end of the board, flush against the back & sides.  I held mine in place for about 1-2 minutes.


2.) Repeat the above step on the other side of the board.


3.) Divide the length of your board into thirds (for example, mine measured 2 feet across, which is 24 inches).  Mark a pencil dot at 1/3 of the way across and 2/3 of the way.  (My 24 inch board got a dot at 8 inches and 16 inches).


4.) Glue the remaining two shelf brackets down on the center of the pencil marks, flush against the back of the baseboard.  Allow the glue to dry.


5.) Paint your board & shelf brackets in a color that matches your room decor:)





6.) So after a little consideration, I decided to make you a printable, in case you want to avoid painting the inside of your frames and using a paint pen to write in your sorter categories-I did!  You can find your free printable RIGHT HERE.  Or you can go ahead and paint the inside of the frame and write with a paint pen the categories for inside the mini frames.


7.) I used the paper inside the frame as a guide to cut out my printables, then placed them inside the frames and glued them to the front of the mail sorter.


8.) And that's all there is to it!  A gorgeous handmade creation to keep all of those pesky envelopes & receipts in proper order!



Mine looks like such a little stunner in our new yellow kitchen!  Pop on back soon to see the receipts all filed nicely in the new DIY decorative paper folders:)
Photobucket

2 comments: